John Staveley (c. 1400) Wakeman of Ripon stands at the top of the 'proven' main tree for the Staveleys of North Stainley, and appears to have had two sons. The younger was John, who found the Thormanby line; the elder of which was William who went on, as eldest son with the advantages of property, to found the North Stainley dynasty which lasted nearly 400 years until it died out in 1814 with no male Staveley heirs. It spluttered on until 1933 under the female line through Thomas Kitchingman Hutchinson (Staveley) and his daughter Roseberry Mary Staveley of Old Sleningford, until it passed to descendants of the Thormanby line who were previously connected as brothers William and John in the 15th Century!
'North Stainley' is a bit of a misnomer as for the first 275 years of this period, Ripon was the main place of residence and the Stainley property seems to have been leased out.
Although there is clear contention regarding the true lineage of John Staveley from Adam de Staveley and Gospatric, these early Staveleys clearly held positions of power with a number being elected Wakeman (John, and son William).
The Staveley family of Ripon/North Stainley seems to have held the office of 'Keeper of the Parks' first granted to them by Cardinal Wolsey. Ripon Parks was an enclosed area 'part paled, part railed' of some 815 acres and about six miles all the way round, used for hunting purposes. It was owned by the Kind, but held by the Archbishop for hunting and parts were leased out. In 1647 Ripon Parks appears to have 3 lodges contained within it. One was known as 'Horsemans' builts of timber and thatch, another known as the 'Chief Lodge' built of timber and tiled but 'very ruinous' and the North Lodge also built of timber and thatch which had two outhouses and was in a reasonable state of repair. In the 1650's the Park was abolished under the 'Commonwealth' and broken up into three farms. In the 1660's, following the 'Restoration' of Charles II, a Miles Staveley had completely lost the Parks deal and eventually moved to a new house built on the Stainley site by about 1715. This Stainley land seems to have been held 'free hold' from the Archbishop.
Author: Peter Staveley