Staveley Arms of Oxfordshire

Staveley Arms of Oxfordshire

The Oxfordshire Staveleys are believed to be directly connected to the Staveleys of Stainley and Ripon. The family later spread out into a large family group who latterly moved to a village near Market Harborough in Leicestershire. The Oxfordshire arms are identical to those of Leicestershire, London and Thormanby, Yorkshire.  Additional branches of the Oxfordshire line appear to have settled in London (the City), Essex.

In the Visitation of Oxford 1574 the arms are described under a memorial inscription for William Staveley of Bicester, who died in 1498 and is buried at Bicester church, as argent on a chevron azure between three lozenges sable three bucks' heads cabossed (untinctured).  In Burke's General Armory, the Staveley Oxfordshire arms are listed as follows:

Staveley (Bigenhall, co. Oxford; Thomas Staveley,Esq., of Bigenhall, temp. Queen Elizabeth, great-grandson of William Staveley, Esquire., of Bigenhall, who d. 10 Oct. 1498. Visit. Oxon, 1574).  Ar. on a chev. az. betw. three lozenges sa. as many bucks' heads cabossed or, quartering FRANCIS, PLESSINGTON, and STRELLEY

 

Text and Images Copyright © 1999-2006