Staveley Arms of Suffolk
Thus far only a single original reference to the Staveley arms of Suffolk has been located. There is no notation as to whom the arms were granted, where or when. The original text in which the arms appear was compiled c. 1655 with apparent notations in other hands through to 1660. The individual responsible for compiling the index for this manuscript noted that many of the coats of arms were "in Preston Church", "in Mr. Bloys his house". The first recorded owner of the manuscript is a "Mr. Gouter of Dennington". Some have presumed that this was either Samuel Golty, Rector of Dennington 1665-83, or his son Richard who was Rector between 1697-1723.
As such the manuscript has become known as Golty's Ordinary, and to date is the only 'original' source containing the arms of the Staveleys of Suffolk. Overall the manuscript contains some 2,376 emblazoned coats, primarily from East Suffolk. Although the exact grantee of these arms is unknown, few candidates seem to exist in East Suffolk at that time. It is quite possible that these arms were granted to Leonard Staveley, Rector of Pettistree, or perhaps his son John b. 1582, but we may never know with certainty.
The Suffolk arms are very similar to those of the Devon line, in that the lozenges and chevron are azure, the bucks heads cabossed or. However, this appears to be only occasion where the background for the shield is also gold. The vast majority of Staveley arms tend to have a solid argent (silver) background, with the exception of some of the very early shields such as those granted to Adam Staveley, and Sir Thomas de Stavile.